Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baby Burrito




Genevieve really likes being swaddled. The past few nights we have bundled her up and she has slept peacefully through the night.

The last week was a blur. I feel a bit sorry for anyone trying to get anything useful out of me the last couple of weeks! But I am hopeful I've turned the corner now on (fatherhood)^2, even as I turned the corner on 31.

Genevieve has inherited her Daddy's eyes, but not in a good way. Her pediatric opthalmologist says she has a very faint cataract in each eye. If they do not grow they will have no impact on her normal visual development. And so far as me and my parents could conclude over dinner one night last week after the diagnosis, we have a family history of stable cataracts -- which is a (relatively) good sign. So for now we will be back to see the eye doc every month until he can tell if things are stable or getting cloudier. Worst case scenario is baby cataract surgery (replace the cloudy natural lens with an artificial plastic one). It's the same kind your typical 74 year-old gets, but with a lot more wiggling.

I have mixed feelings. I don't want her eyesight to be anything close to as bad as mine. But then again, without tooting my own horn too much, I still turned out pretty good. Time will tell. Maybe someday she can even learn to fly her Grandpa Gene's airplane.

2 comments:

Carla said...

She is a cutie pie!

Auntie Kimmers said...

Do not worry about what is out of your control. Things will work out. Baby G is a beautiful baby girl and I know she'll grow up to a beautiful person! That's the important thing.